Sunday, July 15, 2012

Growing and learning!

I am so sorry that we haven't written!  Kingsley is just the most fabulous dog ever created.  He is easy going, responds so well to my voice and loves life.

We have been quite busy helping to get Rayhill the aussie into a suitable home, since being a service dog wasn't in his cards.  Kingsley is quite glad he's gone, as he doesn't enjoy playing the "aussie" way.

He'd much rather play with his sister, Gretel.  This is a 2-3x daily play session ;-)


Kingsley was 15 weeks in that video.  He is easily 19 inches tall now, and is 26.8 lbs!  I can tell when he hits a growth spurt because he sleeps more than usual.  He has 4 puppy teeth out now, with the adults growing in!

On Thursday the 12th United Disabilities Services was here taking out my old hoyer ceiling lift and installing a new, updated and significantly safer and in some ways larger system.   Kingsley met the whole crew (3 men) and watched them begin the construction before heading out for the day so he was safe away from the opening doors, construction and what not.  To my surprise, he never skipped a beat coming back into my room.  The new system is different in nearly every single way.  It rolls across my ceiling faster and louder (but not quite as smooth since its' track is curved and not straight), it's main unit is larger, a large bar lowers and the entire sound of the machine is different.  In addition it has a wall mounting unit.  He hasn't even looked at it once!  He just comes to say goodnight and good morning to me by putting his front paws up near my face (using his little brain - he always finds which side i'm closer to!) and gives me plenty of kisses.  Here he is, watching us put all of my room decor back up!

16 weeks on my hospital bed, with the new hoyer
system on ceiling and wall
On Friday I took Kingsley to Palmyra for an emergency vet appointment.  Though he had an appointment the following week for vaccinations, I just felt he wasn't feeling well.  We clean his ears with Otocalm on a 1 - 1 1/2 week basis, but this week within 2 days they were messy and smelly already.  He also had a slight discharge from his eyes that within a few days went from being clear to being off white yellow.  My poor man!  Low and behold, both were infected so he was started on ear drops (the name just slipped my mind) and Mycitracin eye ointment.

Worse than that though, is that the vet is worried he has a very mild case in both eyes of entropion.  The most important thing immediately is to get the infection cleared up, but after that we will monitor his eyes closely.  It is possible and likely they will correct themselves as he grows (especially since this has never been seen in his bloodline), but if they don't he will require surgery.  Thankfully, this will not interfere with him working or with his health long term!

He will not be neutered until we are 100% he doesn't need the corrective surgery, because if he does need it we will do that while under, too!

Today, Kingsley also got to meet one of my best friends, Jill - director of Pet Matchmaker Rescue.  Jill rescues and fosters hundreds of dogs and puppies a year (literally, hundreds!) and I feel so wonderful saying that she just ADORED Kingsley, and his great temperament.  If theres one person that means a lot from, it's Jill!  :) Here's a picture I snapped tonight!

4 months with my friend Jill!
I'm a little sad that Kingsley hasn't been feeling well because we have a lot of fun training planned this week, and i've already had to leave him home for one the big things (a professional photoshoot on Saturday).  This Wednesday we have tickets to go see the Lancaster Barnstormers  so I'm just really praying that by then he's feeling good enough to come along!

Take care til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment