Thursday, October 18, 2012

A Helper in Training :)


Today, Kingsley brought a smile to my face when he (cone, wound and all) stopped playing to practice a very simple task we've been introducing this week. Every morning after I wash my face, he takes my face towelette or washcloth from my hand, and trades it for a low value treat with my mom. Today was the first time he made a routine connection between my steps and what he's asked to do. Meaning he saw that I was washing my face and stopped playing to come work! 

To my surprise though, the next step, which my current service dog has to do, he quickly hopped over and did! It's a little confusing if you don't know me well physically, but i'll try to explain it best I can. In order to use my right arm for brushing my teeth, etc, I use a squishy bean pillow, stuffed between my torso, armrest and elbow. The downside is that I can't drive my chair or use my phone from that position! So it was imperative that my dog learn to tug it out and either place it on my lap or deliver it to my mom. Kingsley traded the towelette for his kibble, and before anyone could do anything, pranced to my other side, tugged out the pillow and handed it to my mom. Good boy Kingsley, good boy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment