Friday, June 22, 2012

Kingsley's First PAD Meeting

Today Kingsley accompanied me to a meeting at Barnes and Noble with local canine bakery, Two Pups Pastries.  He was perfect!  He walked through the parking lot, waited while I chatted with a friend I ran into, and then had no problem traveling through the double doors and into Barnes and Noble where we found a table in the café to sit at.  We were there for about two hours, and he was an angel the entire time!  Lots of people oohed and aahed at him, and he'd merely lift his head to acknowledge them before going back to sleep!

"auto settle" at Starbucks café in Barnes and Noble, 13 wks

After the meeting we took the opportunity to do a short training session in the near by Petsmart.  We parked a bit away from the entrance, and walked to the potty area first.  He enjoyed the sniffs but wasn't interested in going, so we went inside to walk around.  He did wonderful loose leash walking on his flat buckle collar.



So we made our way to the birds, where he thought he was supposed to practice his "auto settle" and quickly offered a down.  We showed him the birds and encouraged him to check them out.  If he could of talked to us, i'm pretty sure he would have said "I had duck neighbors at LoCo Meadows...what's the big deal!?"


Silly boy was completely unphased by the entire experience.  We stopped to talk to a family that had an 8 week old Shih Tzu, which they allowed him to meet.  He had no interest, and just hung out in a "sit" while we talked for a few minutes.


So afterward, we got back to the van and I decided to see what his reaction would be to getting in on the side of the van without the wheelchair ramp.  Silly me, he just hopped right in!  Our last stop of the day was back at the hospital to drop off some magazines, and a tug toy for our friends service dog.  They've been in the hospital about a week so we figured they could use some new things to do.  Kingsley remembered the parking lot, and went straight to the grass where he had been permitted to potty last time.  He sniffed a bit, then sat looking at us, so we headed inside.  Again he did wonderful, but this time I am happy to report he didn't hesitate what so ever getting on the elevator either time!  Woohoo!

We also had our first thunderstorms this evening, and he had no change in behavior what so ever.  He wasn't interested in going outside in the pouring rain (and I mean, BUCKETS for rain drop, style pouring...) but none of my dogs were, so I didn't blame him.

He's an incredible blessing in my life, and I cannot believe he is mine :)

1 comment:

  1. I just love reading about his progress each day!!! Kingsley is just weaseling his way into our hearts perfectly - I find him so impressive and I just love him!!

    ReplyDelete